BACHELOR OF MEDICINE & BACHELOR OF SURGERY
Malaysia is lacking in either authorized medical officer or trained physician to fulfill the increasing number of development of the government hospitals and private medical centres. As such, Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (UniSZA) is honoured with the trust given by the ministry to contribute towards the development of healthcare by the approval of its Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) programme here in Terengganu. The programme was started in July 2009 with the first intake of 30 students. Granted approval by Ministry of Higher Education was on 3rd of Febuary 2009. Subsequently in August 2009 a memorandum of understanding (MOU) between UniSZA and KKM was been made outlining the allocation of MBBS student for the clinical at the hospitals and health clinics throughout the Terengganu.
- Knowledgeable and highly skilled in medicine and surgery theoretically and practical aspect including medical related law.
- Highly skilled to conduct any research in basic sciences and clinical medicine.
- Has the ability to think critically in medicine and adaptable to work with various levels of society.
- Has versatile communication skills and knowledge in medical informatics including Information & Computer Technology (ICT) and capable to expand its use in the medical field.
- Display exemplary personality, acceptable soft and clinical skills to pursue postgraduate medical education.
- Actively seek to understand the full concept of medical ethic and practice integrity as well as be responsible in their medical practice.
- Aspire to practice lifelong continuing education to improve the quality of medical professionalism.
- Has leadership qualities and yet able to work as a team member and discharge his utmost service without discrimination to achieve the optimum level of health care.
- Personify a high level of professional conduct and morality in daily tasks.
- Practice and inculcate religious value comprehensively.
- Always sensitive and able to meet the needs of patients and society who are more educated and aware to their rights.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
The medical programme spans over a period of 5 years and is designed into two phases. It consists of programme core courses and compulsory university courses. Phase I consist of year 1 and 2 and Phase 2 consist of year 3, 4 and 5. Phase I is divided into 4 semesters and further subdivided into different modules. Phase II is divided into discipline-based clinical posting.
The profession of medicine offers a diverse range of career opportunities. On completion of the MBBS programme, graduates are employed to work in an approved general hospital undertaking general medical training as a houseman under supervision for a minimum period of 2 years. After satisfactory completion of this period and obtaining full registration to practice, graduates have to make a career decision regarding postgraduate specialty (including general practice) training programs offered by university/college. They can choose to specialize in one of a number of fields such as medicine, surgery, obstetrics & gynecology, pediatrics, pathology, psychiatry, radiology, community medicine and others. They may work in private practice on their own, in group practices, in community health centers, in institutes of research and in public and private hospitals. Graduates may also become medical administrators in hospitals or government departments, or medical academics and/or researchers involved with teaching or medical research.
Medicine is a rewarding career; however, being a doctor involves a lifetime of learning, both formally and informally. Doctors have to update their knowledge and skills throughout their careers. The duties of medical doctors include the examination of patients, diagnosis, prescription of medicine, performing minor and major operations and offering different treatments for injuries, diseases and other ailments. It further includes promoting healthy communities by educating them and promoting community development and also acting as a role model.